[daip] Problem loading FITS file in 31DEC06 version of AIPS

Wouter van Reeven wouter at van.reeven.nl
Wed Aug 16 18:32:13 EDT 2006

Dear DAIP people,

A few years ago I used AIPS for my graduation paper on high redshift galaxies.
Having left professional astronomy, I am still an avid amateur astronomer. As of
lately I am trying to create contour plots of some celestial objects using the
AIPS software.
In order to get FITS images of these objects I am using some C++ code called
get_dss, see

http://www.projectpluto.com/get_dss.htm

to get the FITS images off the RealSky CD set. This works fine, even with the
source compiled on Debian Linux. The FITS images are shown perfectly ok in the
GUIDE software the get_dss code was written for. Also, when I try to open the
FITS images with The Gimp or Photoshop, they display correctly.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to load the images in AIPS. To this email I
have attached a small sample of a FITS image. When I try to load the image into
AIPS using the FITLD task, I get this output in the MSGSRV window

eclips> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC06) begins
eclips> FITLD1: Create FITLD       .TEMP  .   1 (MA)  on disk  1  cno    1
eclips> FITLD1: TAPIO: RECORD LENGTH   2258 INCONSISTENT WITH BLOCK SIZE  2880
eclips> FITLD1: IMGDAT: COULD NOT READ INPUT.  IER=  10
eclips> FITLD1: ERROR      1 RETURNED FROM IMGTAP
eclips> FITLD1: Destroyed  1 extension files of type HI
eclips> FITLD1: Destroyed MA image file: catno=      1 disk= 1
eclips> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
eclips> FITLD1: eclipse      31DEC06 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

The messages about the record length varies whenever I extract a FITS image from
the RealSky CD set with larger or smaller dimensions.
As I am by far not an expert on either FITS or AIPS, I am turning to you for
help. Would you please help me analyse the error I get when I try to load the
image? Also, would it be possible for you to either tell me how I can load this
image into AIPS, or what is wrong with the dats in the file so I may contact the
author of the source code to ask for his help in this?

Many thanks in advance for your kind answer,

Wouter van Reeven

--

People: "If she weighs the same as a Duck, she's made of wood!"
Sir Bedevere: "And therefore...?"