[daip] remote tape mount

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:14:44 EDT 2006

shoshana rosenthal writes:

 > Lincoln is running aips on a MAC and trying to read data from a remote
 > tape on the linux machine. The is no firewall on the linux machine.
 > He gets the following error
 > -------------------
 > >inp mount
 > AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
 > AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
 > AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
 > AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
 > AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
 > AIPS 1: REMHOST    'RGLINUX2                  Remote computer name
 > AIPS 1:              '
 > AIPS 1: REMTAPE       2                    Remote tape drive number
 > >mount
 > ZVTPO2 connect (INET): Connection refused
 > AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO OPEN SOCKET TO REMOTE MACHINE, ERROR    1
 > AIPS 1: ZMOUNT: ERROR     1 RETURNED BY ZMOUN2/ZMOUNR

 > Both $APLUNIX/ZVTPO3.C and $APLUNIX/ZVTPGC.C have a debugging
 > set to 1.

the failure is happening on the Mac side - the call to socket is
failing.  Macs often have nasty bariers to doing this sort of thing.
See the aips manager FAQ page which I think has something about this.

BTW - please use daip to address aips questions.  We have systems
experts who lurk on the daip traffic and may be of help.

Eric