[daip] problems with STar file labeling

Lynn D. Matthews lmatthew at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:32:38 EDT 2006

I am attempting to use a STar file to draw labels on a plot generated by
KNTR. I would like to plot simply the labels, no symbols. However, when I
set "star type" to either -1 or to 0 to invoke this option, it still draws
a plus symbol in addition to the label.

If I set the major and minor axis size for the symbol to some tiny number
(to make it disappear), it still makes a small mark on the plot. And if I
try to set major and minor axis size both to zero (as in the example I
append below), the minor axis size defaults to 8.333E-04 deg.

Lastly, when I PRTAB the star table, I also noticed that "star type" is
not an integer as stated it should be in the help file.

In this example, I am trying to print the label "90" at position RA=23 59
20.0, DEC= 00 14 00.0 0.0.

STar file:

23 59 20.0 00 14 00.0 0.0 0.0 0. 0 90

PRTAB output:

Title: AIPS ST star positions table
Created by      STARS on 26-APR-2006 14:21:34
Last written by STARS on 26-APR-2006 14:21:34
Ncol   7  Nrow       1    Sort cols:
   Table can be written as a FITS ASCII table

COL. NO.            1                 2               3              4
     ROW      RA---SIN          DEC--SIN          MAJOR AX       MINOR AX
  NUMBER      DEGREES           DEGREES           DEGREES        DEGREES
       1      3.598333E+02      2.333333E-01      0.000E+00      8.333E-04

COL. NO.          5              6             7
     ROW      POSANG         STARTYPE       LABEL
  NUMBER      DEGREES        INDEX          STRING
       1      0.000E+00      0.000E+00        90

Lynn Matthews