[daip] AIPSASSN problem.

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:11:59 EDT 2006

I found that I had FITS areas in both /home/noatak/AIPS/FITS and
/home/noatak/AIPS/DA01/FITS.  I also found that I had interesting data
stashed in both and had $FITS pointed at the second, and $FITFIL pointed
at the first.  This is a confusing situation to say the least (and not
being backed up properly, so I changed it.  I moved data around and
deleted /home/noatak/AIPS/DA01/FITS.  Afterwards my .tcshrc script dies
in mid stream with an error message "if: invalid syntax".  I chased this
down to a segment in AIPSASSN.CSH, called from LOGIN.CSH which in turn
is called from my .tcshrc.  When it finds that
/home/noatak/AIPS/DA01/FITS does not exist, it tries to create it.  But
the RHEL linux I'm running (I'm not sure that is relevant, but I thought
I'd throw it in) doesn't like the line:
if ( mkdir $DATA_ROOT/${HOST}_1/FITS ) then

Note after the failure:
noatak<78>% printenv HOST
NOATAK
noatak<79>% printenv DATA_ROOT
/DATA
noatak<80>% ls /DATA
NOATAK_1/
noatak<81>% ls /DATA/NOATAK_1
   This lists lots of data files.

The simple workaround is have that FITS file already.  But someone might
want to look at the script.  Actually another gotcha lurkes here.  If
you make /DATA/NOATAK_1/FITS a symbolic link rather than a true
directory, AIPSASSN still fails.

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA