[daip] Re: AIPS / A Problem with Installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:57:00 EDT 2005

mines at physics.technion.ac.il writes:
 > Eric,
 >
 > You may remember me from my e-mails to you earlier this year.  Two of us are
 > trying to get AIPS to work on another computer.  (However, this time the
 > installation is on a computer in the U.S. as opposed to Israel.)  The MSGSRV
 > opens for a few seconds before it closes.  Neither the TEKSRV nor the TVSERV
 > opens.  The following error message is displayed:
 >

 > ?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
 > TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: Invalid argument
 > TVSERVER: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
 > XAS: sssin is not a service
 > XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
 > zssslk: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
 > XAS: Quitting NOW.
 > XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 > XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 >
 > What did we do wrong and/or what did we forget to do?  Please advise.  Thank
 > you.

You forgot what the messages above tell you that you forgot - the
system services needed for AIPS sockets.  From the aips manager FAQ
web page

The instructions to change your /etc/services file are often
overlooked. The Inet versions of XAS with its TVSERV lock daemon,
MSGSRV, and TEKSRV all require that predictable node numbers be
reserved for them. The remote tape services also require these and do
not offer a UNIX (non-network socket) option. In both cases, if you
need to communicate between two computers (or more), the following
must be installed in your /etc/services (or YP services):

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6
aipsmt7         5017/tcp        AIPSMT7

You do not need to install all the tape services unless you have a
large number of tape devices on some computer.