[daip] Re: aips not installing

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 15 15:19:18 EDT 2005

sdt4 at njit.edu writes:
 > Thanks for your reply.
 >
 >  Both things checked out. I finally saw on the site that gcc 4 does not work
 > with AIPS. I have now installed 3.4.4 (the only one Fedora Core 4 would let me
 > install) but I still get the same thing. I have read any and all readme files
 > and where they send me to, but there's nothing about this. Furthermore, I think
 > the problem I sent you stems from another problem earlier in the installation,
 > maybe.
 >

 > AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...
 > AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
 > AipsWiz: /usr/local/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
 > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfrtbegin

    Look in /usr/local/lib for a file named frtbegin.  If it is not
there I suspect a problem installing 3.4.4.  If it is, check your
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You may have to set it to include /usr/local/lib
explicitly.

This is an entirely different failure than your previous one with XAS.

You might consider trying the binary install - the Intel compiler
produces load modules that are 35% faster on our Pentium IVs than the
ones produced by the GNU compiler.