[daip] NSF review

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Sep 7 18:33:12 EDT 2005

I would probably reduce the detail, and hence the length.  In particular, I
would reduce substantially the description of new tasks in 2004/5.
What I would say is something like "Examples of the modifications to
AIPS in the last year to support VLA and VLBA observers include
the following:
(1) Models for primary flux calibration sources at many frequencies
are now included with AIPS distributions.
(2) Calibration tasks have been improved to offer more robust gain
solution methods, and flag discrepant solutions.
(3) The primary imaging task has been modified to enable more
efficient use of CLEAN algorithms.
(4) The VLA data-filling task was modified to read archive data from
disk, in support of the NRAO on-line archive."

Then I would take out the paragraphs on the same subjects and on
FIXBX.  My inclination is to leave in the full paragraph on ATMCA and
DELZN, perhaps with an introductory sentence stating that
"Improved astrometric results for the VLBA have been enabled by the
implementation of new tasks that make use of observations of multiple
reference sources.  A new task ..."

I'd go ahead and send in the Plan part more-or-less as is.  It might be
that this should be shortened somewhat, but I think it's a reasonable
description and I'd rather not try to wordsmith it at the moment.
It may in fact be that the plan will end up in Section 5 of the document
under VLA/VLBA, but I'm not sure.

Jim