[daip] Help running DDT/Y2K

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Sep 3 15:42:31 EDT 2005

Bryan Follis writes:

 > I am confused by the steps presented in DDT.hlp on running the
 > benchmark. I am running AIPS with the DDT data files here on a local
 > disk. I'm confused on what to set all the DDT variables to, such as
 > all the Disk variables and where the DDT files themselves are located
 > since I am not pulling them off a tape or other disk. Could you give
 > me a step by step walkthrough on running these benchmarks? Thanks!

I assum that you have downloaded the latest FITS files from our
anonymous ftp site:

      ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/FITS/31DEC04/

The files you want are DDTL* and Y2KL*.

Before you start AIPS, set an environment variable to point to the
disk area containing these FITS files, e.g.

   cd <that area>
   setenv MYDDT `pwd`        (for csh or tcsh)
   export MYDDT=`pwd`        (for bash)

Then in aips

run ddtl
clrm

task 'ddt'
tcode 'read'
tmode 'm'
tmask 127
ddtsize 'large'
ddisk 1
mdisk 1
tdisk 1
ddtdisk = 'MYDDT'
edgsk 4
terse 2
outprin 'MYDDT:Test.ddt
tput

run ddte

tget ddt
tcode 'test'
terse = -1
tput
clrm

run ddte

You do essentially the same thing to do the Y2K test which should take
about 10 times longer but which is now too short a test for many
machines.

We find the the message server window slows things a lot.  Do a CTRL-C
in the message server window before running the tests.

The output will end up in text files you can look at later.  The
relevant run time is the wall clock time between the
run ddte (run y2ke) line and the PRINTING ... line.