[daip] remote tapes on enterprise machines

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 25 13:40:42 EDT 2005

Hi all,

After much experimenting, it turns out that simply killing the TPMONs
and restarting them (by either running /home/AIPS/START_TPSERVERS or
starting aips as aips) works, I tested this on ALCOR, DUBHE and ALFIRK.
  To test if this was a fluke or something that happens all the time
when the public machines are rebooted, I rebooted DUBHE and again it did
not work, with the same errors as before.

Eric suggests that the errors we are getting would occur if the
START_TPSERVERS that is called when booting up is from the 31DEC03
version, after which he changed the LUNs.

Cheers,

Amy

P.S.

The standard set of errors look like this:
FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC05) begins
FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   3
FITLD1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE      6
FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR   6 TO
FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   6 OPENING FILE
FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
FITLD1: beset        31DEC05 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0