[daip] Re: AIPS RUNFIL problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:18:19 EDT 2005

Alice Argon writes:

 > Below is a message sent to Eric Greisen which summarizes the problem.

    I have been on travel and daip is the address to send all aips
queries.

 > > We seem to be unable to execute any runfiles in AIPS (we get
 > > "TEXT...UNAVAILABLE" messages when the runfiles clearly exist).
 > > The problem occurs on multiple machines and for multiple users.
 > >
 > > Below, is a transcript of a test to illustrate the problem.  In sum, I:
 > >  * create a simple runfile in my home directory (called JUNK2.0DB, which
 > >      consists of a blank line, followed by ucat plus <CR>).
 > >  * set the runfile area to home directory (setenv RUNFIL /home/alice,
 > >      which has always worked in the past)

    There has been no change to this area of code in quite some time.
This however was not how we would recommend that you do things.  Your
aips installation probably has a $RUNFIL area - usually
$AIPS_ROOT/RUN.  If you put things there and do not mess with the
$RUNFIL assignment then it should work.  The pseudoverb RUN does have
adverbs among which is VERSION.  Setting that to an environemnt
variable of your choosing (but not RUNFIL) that is known to AIPS when
it is started also works - I use it a lot.

 > >  * get into AIPS (aips notv)
 > >  * attempt to execute the runfile (run junk2)
 > >
 > > The lines
 > >  "/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/RUN",
 > > which appear immediately after I type "aips notv" may be of concern,
 > > since this area does not exist.  Do you have any idea as to what
 > > could be wrong?

 > > rglinux5 23> aips notv
 > > /AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/RUN
 > > /AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/RUN
 > > /AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/FITS

     These are most peculiar - are you sure someone has not added echo
statements to the CfA version of START_AIPS in $AIPS_ROOT?  The 3rd of
these is the AOC standard place for FITS but not the usual area
elsewwhere.  I could see other site adopting this approach for RUN as
well as FITS to make spearate such area for separate machines.  The
antique aips model was a single public area for each.

     It is dangerous to change these standard files now.  The MNJ can
update any of them at any time (although I do not change them much).

 > > Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
 > > Begin the one true AIPS number 5 (release of 31DEC05) at priority =   0
 > > AIPS 5: You are NOT assigned a TV device or server
 > > AIPS 5: You are NOT assigned a graphics device or server
 > > AIPS 5: Enter user ID number
 > > ?/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/RUN
 > > /AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/RUN
 > > /AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX5_1/FITS

Another set of these messages - check all files in $AIPS_ROOT such
AIPSASSN.SH and CSH and AIPSPATH.SH and CSH for these echos.

 > > AIPS 5: ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:SGD0DB001.0DB;
 > > AIPS 5: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 > > AIPS 5: UNABLE TO READ SAVE/GET FILE NAMED LASTEXIT.  CHECK DA01:SG*

   Why can't you load this file - you should fix that too.  At least
this error tells me that you did not have VERSION set to anything

 > > AIPS 5: Loading a brand new POPS vocabulary
 > > >
 > > >run junk2
 > > AIPS 5: TEXT FOR JUNK2 UNAVAILABLE

I am suspicious that there are local changes to the aips procs that I
cannot debug from here.  These messages should not be appearing, yet
say twice and they suggest someone has attempted to change something.

Meanwhile, the use of the VERSION adverb is what you should do.

VERSION='HOME' should work.