[daip] TV problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 11 04:04:04 EDT 2005

David Moffett writes:

 > I checked /etc/services, and yes, those were reset during the upgrade.  I
 > changed the /etc/services file and rebooted, but no luck.
 > The message I get now is the following:
 >
 > ZSSSL2: macmoffett: UNKNOWN HOST

The name lookup service is not finding the computer named macmoffett.
This might get better with time and might not.

An alternative would be to switch to calling your machine a laptop
which is fine if you are the only machine using the installation.
Edit $AIPS_ROOT files HOSTS.LIST (to add LOCALHOST) and LIGIN.SH and
LOGIN.CSH to say LAPTOP YES.  Edit $AIPS_ROOT/DA00 files NETSP and
DADEVS.LIST to add LOCALHOST_n data areas parallel to the current
MACMOFFETT_n areas.  In $AIPS_ROOT/DA00 do
ln -s MACMOFFETT LOCALHOST
and in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA (or wherever)
ln -s MACMOFFETT_1 LOCALHOST_1
etc.

The source LOGIN.CSH or . LOGIN.SH (for bash) and you should be
golden.  At that point it uses TVs to localhost:0.0 which should work.
There is also the aips tv=local which you could try (see help XAS or
the CookBook chapter 2 or the man aips page for more info).