[daip] Hardware Requirement

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Oct 1 08:57:16 EDT 2005

Aralt Mac Giolla Chainnigh writes:

 > I will be submitting an application for a research grant,
 > for the first time, next month.  I need to estimate the
 > cost of obtaining a computer that will run AIPS.  What
 > is my minimum requirement in terms of hardware to
 > run the newest version of AIPS, 31DEC05 (or where
 > can I find that information)?

I do not know the costs of computers in your area.  Any Linux desktop
will probably run aips.  The software is not memory hungry but 1 Gbyte
of RAM would still be good.  The amount of disk you need depends on
the amount of data you expect to have - 200 Gbytes is now a pretty
standard off the shelf disk.  I just bought a Gateway machine for
under $1000 (US) although it is a microsoft box and so not exactly
comparable.  I do not know what a RedHat or other Linux system costs
these days and you will want a good PostScript color printer.

In other words you can get a good system for well under $2000.