[daip] 16384 Channels in aips

Craig West cwest at astro.swin.edu.au
Mon Nov 28 20:26:24 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm involved with running a software correlator that is capable of
generating large numbers of spectral channels. Recently I performed an
observation over 4 MHz at 2 polarisations, and when I attempted to load
this data into AIPS I got an error message. Further investigation has
shown that 16384 channels at a single polarisation does load.
It appears that you can only have the following condition when loading
data:
	channels*poln*frequencies <= 16384

Is there any known way to increase this? The problem seems to be in a
function called UVFDAT, but upon further investigation of that it seems
that there may be many more areas affected by the same issue.

I assume that a global search and replace of the data is not really an
option as this could cause problems in other areas. As I have my own
personal installation of AIPS I am willing to make changes as needed to
increase this number - however I am unsure as to whether this is a large
task or not (my feeling is that it is very large).

Is there any simple way to increase this number? Or is there some way
special version available that already has this increase? It seems like a
small limit to me - given what is available now, if the above equation is
correct then the following setup for an observation is not that
impossible.

4 frequencies * 2 polns * 1024 channels with all products = 16384

P.S. I am trying to load UV Fits data.

Cheers
Craig...

---