[daip] Lost aips number suffixes

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 17 11:21:25 EST 2005

Anthony Holloway writes:

 >   I wonder if you have any ideas on this odd problem.
 >
 >   An installation of 31DEC02 (for 4MASS) was working fine and now has a
 > problem. In between the OS has been upgraded.
 >
 > Symptoms:-
 >
 >   The existing files in the data area have the usual ehex suffix. When
 > logging in which that aips user number the files are not visible.
 >
 > Running fitld to load a fits file gives a map file which does not have any
 > aips number suffix.
 >
 > So it seems aips has changed from using number suffixes to not!
 >
 > Any clues on where to look with this one?

Someone must have run some of the AIPS installation programs.  There
is a parameter that can be set by FILAIP that chooses this.

cd $AIPS_ROOT
soure LOGIN.CSH  (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
RUN FILAIP

The first question

# disks, # cat entries/disk (<0 => private catlgs)

should be answered with

1 -100

Someone answered with +something for the 2nd number.  The first number
is unimportant - the actual number comes from DADEVS.LIST rather than
here.  In fact in 31DEC05 (you really should be using something more
recent) I have dropped this question from FILAIP and forced -100 as
the parameter in the program.