[daip] Trouble logging remotely into a Mac to load AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:34:16 EST 2005

Chun Ly writes:

 > My name is Chun Ly. I'm having trouble logging remotely into a Mac to get
 > AIPS running. It seem that the MSG server and TEK server loaded fine, but
 > the AIPS server did not load. Here's the error message:
 >
 > aips tv=local

   Perhaps I have not understood what you are doing however.  What
computer are you running on and what computer are you sitting in front
of?  If they are different then shared memory is not allowed and the
ssh form of the display variable may cause XAS to think that shared
memory is allowed and hence the error below.  You can turn off shared
memory - see HELP XAS for this option.  Alternatively, if the computer
in front of which you are sitting also runs aips, then you can start
the TV servers on your desktop and then on the remote machine say
     aips tv=desktop tvok
and get very much better response than sending the display remotely.

Eric Greisen