[daip] Re: IBM compiler

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 24 15:43:25 EDT 2005

Lincoln writes:

 > Shoshana Rosenthal contacted you about
 > a choice facing us - to buy the IBM XLF
 > compiler v. 8.1 or the Absoft version
 > v. 9.0 .

     I did not really have an opinion - the absoft is said to be
simply the IBM compiler so I do not know what the version numbers or
anything else means.  We bought the IBM one because its license
allowed redistribution.  Absoft requires an add-on license I think.

NRAO spends enormous money for software and at present no one monitors
it or helps us at all.  I have spoken to higher ups warning them that
misuse can lead to lawsuits - we could distribute the output of the
Intel compiler easily but I think I am the only one licensed to use it
and its products.  (Nonetheless it is in a public standard directory
with world read/execute privilege!)

Perhaps Shoshana is experienced enough that she could call up Absoft
and ask some questions and get you the proper license for your use.
And she could ask what the differences are.  Yes there could be subtle
or not so subtle problems - but there could also be improvements.

There is also the question of the advance to TIGER - we have
established that PANTHER IBM load modules seem to run okay on TIGER.

 > I do not have a copy of your response to
 > Shoshana on the matter, and she is not in.
 > I am immediately suspicious that purchasing
 > v.9 from Absoft will open us up to subtle
 > problems.
 >
 > Do you have experience with v.9?  Or are you
 > recommending v. 8.1 w/ purchase directly from
 > IBM?
 >
 > Historically, I don't recall seeing many birds
 > at the VLA in spring.  Perhaps faulty memory.
 > Nonetheless, this spring, I've seen quite a few.
 > I presume the rains have helped make the area
 > hospitable.  Am I nuts?  I presume the birds
 > feed on insects. ?

I have not been to the Bosque in way too long - there are often Spring
migratory birds plus quite a few that nest.  More water and hence more
bugs provides better food and habitat.

Cheers,