[Fwd: Re: [daip] Re: Help setting up AIPS...]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu May 12 10:33:47 EDT 2005

Anthony Remijan writes:
 > Hey Jeff,
 >
 > I am trying to install AIPS on Mike Hollis' machine JANSKY.  Eric at
 > NRAO is helping me do this and the easiest way to proceed is for an
 > installation off the net.  However, we can't use ftp here and the
 > installation requires visiting an NRAO ftp site.  Eric sent this little
 > test to see if it works and it doesn't...it just hangs.  Can we try to
 > work together here to set up AIPS on JANSKY?
 >
 > Also, I think that I will need root access on JANSKY as well to proceed
 > with the install.  Is that correct Eric? If not thats even better but
 > for some reason I thought I need root access.
 >
 > Thanks Jeff, hope to hear from you soon.
 >
 > Tony

You do not need FTP exactly except to get install.pl but you do need
the rsync port to be open.

It sounds to me like the security folks at GSFC would prefer that no
one there communicates with the outside world at all.  If one makes no
rsync areas at GSFC, then the rsync port can only be used to send
rsync requests from GSFC to some place that accepts them (our
ftp.aoc.nrao.edu for example) and that place will return the requested
data on a public port which is almost never blocked except by the most
fanatic security zealots.

An outgoing CVS port is also needed to run the MNJ.

This is similarly harmless.

If your security people do not believe this they can talk it over with
our chief systems person jrobnett at nrao.edu.

Our sites at NRL and USNO and other GSFC installations are running
just fine.