[daip] combining OTF maps in AIPS

Grace Wolf-Chase grace at horta.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 8 17:22:03 EST 2005

3/8/05

Hi Amy, Eric, or whoever is taking these questions today!

I have yet-a-couple-more questions regarding reducing 12m OTF maps in AIPS.

My colleague, JoAnn O'Linger, and I have several OTF maps of a very large
portion of a molecular cloud, and several smaller maps that were centered
on a subregion of the cloud. We also have a few incomplete maps of both
regions. So I have two questions:

(1) Is it possible (and advisable) to combine incomplete and complete OTF maps
of the same region in order to attain better S/N over at least part of the map?
If so, is it best to do this by reading the multiple maps into one OTFUV
file, or separately, into a number of OTFUV files, and then combine them at
a later stage of data reduction?

(2) Is it possible to combine a larger OTF map with an OTF map
of a subregion that was centered at a different position? If so, how?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Grace Wolf-Chase
Senior Research Assoc.