[daip] Re: A quick question on aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 8 15:48:38 EST 2005

Tingdong Chen writes:
 > Hi Eric,

    Messages to daip at nrao.edu get answered when I am on vacation
instead of waiting for me to return.

 >   I wonder if you can answer me a short question about aips, hope you can
 > help me out. I can't zap some files. It seems as if the file is not
 > there(I don't think I 'rm' it outside AIPS), the error messages are:
 >
 > >mc
 > AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  3
 > AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
 > AIPS 1:    9 7777 B_XUK       .CHI   .    2 MA 08-MAR-2005 00:53:10
 > >getn 9; zap
 > AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 3  user=7777   type=MA   B_XUK.CHI.2
 > AIPS 1: SL FILE VERSION  8 DID NOT SELF-DESTRUCT ON COMMAND
 > AIPS 1: SL FILE VERSION  7 DID NOT SELF-DESTRUCT ON COMMAND
 > AIPS 1: SL FILE VERSION  6 DID NOT SELF-DESTRUCT ON COMMAND
 > AIPS 1: SL FILE VERSION  5 DID NOT SELF-DESTRUCT ON COMMAND
 > AIPS 1: Destroyed MA image file: catno=      9 disk= 3
 > AIPS 1: NO DESTROY
 >
 > Then I tried to extd the SL tables
 >
 > >extd
 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA03:MAD009001.601;      NOT FOUND
 > AIPS 1: CANT OPEN B_XUK       .CHI   .   2 IER=   2
 >
 > any other way to force deleting it?
 > Thanks a lot.
 >
 > Tingdong Chen
 > Brandeis University
 > Physics Department

This message implies that you did not have privilege to delete the SL
files version 5 through 8.  They must have been created with another
account that did not give your current account privilege to write them
and thence to delete them.

You must - outside aips -

cd to the disk 3 data area

ls -laF  SLD009*.601*

You should see the 4 files and the owner and privilege.  Then you must
rm the files or they will someday cause trouble.