[daip] AIPS OTF procedures

Grace Wolf-Chase grace at horta.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:15:50 EST 2005

3/1/05

Dear Amy,

Thanks for your quick response!

> From amiodusz at nrao.edu  Mon Feb 28 16:52:40 2005
> To: Grace Wolf-Chase <grace at horta.uchicago.edu>, daip at nrao.edu
> Subject: Re: [daip] AIPS OTF procedures
> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:52:34 -0700
> From: Amy Mioduszewski <amiodusz at aoc.nrao.edu>
> 	BAYES_20 -2.60, IN_REP_TO -0.37)
>
> Dear Grace,
>
> First, a completely different topic than what you asked:
> How old is your 12m data?  How old is your AIPS?  The 12m
> used to use a Solaris box (I think) to write the data now
> it uses a Linux box, so the data is byte-swapped from what
> it used to be.  Eric recently (January this year) changed
> OTFUV etc to detect this, if you have an AIPS from before
> that and your data was written after the switch then AIPS
> will not load in your data correctly.  I do not know when
> the 12m changed to Linux.

My colleague, JoAnn O'Linger, and I have 12m OTF data for several runs from
2000 - early 2002. A good portion of these data were never loaded into AIPS.
I can't speak for JoAnn, but I'm still running AIPS version 31DEC01...
I'm hoping that the software for this older version WILL support loading the
older files and creating the appropriate OTFUV, etc files. Once this is done, I
intend to write out all important data to FITS files!

> O.K., for your questions:  I think you are right and the latest
> manual us the Sept 21, 1999 version.  The easiest thing to do
> is to set OBSDAT to the directory that contains your data, as
> an environmental variable (in the same window you are going to
> run AIPS and before you start AIPS).  You can also copy the
> OFTPROC to the $FITS or some such directory and change it,
> then set VERS = 'FITS' and run it from there.

OK - I think I'll give the first method a try first.

> Get back to me if you need more detailed instructions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Amy

Will do, and thanks! Looks like I shouldn't upgrade AIPS until I've got this
batch of data safely processed, huh?

Thanks again,

Grace