[daip] Re: AIPS-DBCON

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 3 11:47:03 EDT 2005

Shinji Horiuchi writes:

 > I tried to conbine RR and LL files into one polarization file
 > using DBCON but it said
 >
 >  DBCON1: STOKES RANGES DO NOT OVERLAP
 >  DBCON1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 >
 > I checked this both for single and multi files.
 > Does DBCON not support for merging different pols?
 > I appreciate if you can instruct me proper method for this.

That is correct - DBCON does not merge polarizations.  To merge these
data sets change the LL into RR via puthead and then run DBCON,
treating the 2nd data set as a 2nd subarray (DOARRAY = -1).

Polarizations are assumed normally to be part of the visibility array
occurring at exactly the same times, antennas, etc etc.  DBCON will
not attempt to build up such arrays from the component parts and the
two data sets are not guaranteed to have the exactly same samples.