[daip] Re: Troubles reading DAT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 25 14:53:31 EDT 2005

Data Analysts writes:

 > ----- Begin Included Message -----
 >
 > > > I am trying to read the data from projects BW076 and BW079 using FITLD.
 > > > The data are on the DAT distribution tapes that were sent to me by NRAO.
 > > > Most of the time I try it, FITLD crashes with a weird error message about
 > > > a parity error.  The latest time I tried it, for BW076, it crashed with
 > > > the error message
 > > >

 > > > FITLD1 12:52:45 ZEXPND: EXPANSION FAILED ON FILE DA02:UVD00I001.1PM;
 > > > NREC = 149351
 > > > FITLD1 12:52:45 ZERROR: ON FILE DA02:UVD00I001.1PM;
 > > > FITLD1 12:52:45 ZERROR: IN ZEXPN2 ERRNO = 27 (File too large)
 > > > FITLD1 12:52:45 FILE EXPANSION FAILED - QUITTING
 > > >
 > > > The file in question is indeed larger than the average - the note
 > > > that was slipped into the DAT case says that the file is 374 Mb.
 > > > The next largest file that was successfully read was 348 Mb.
 > > >
 > > > Any ideas what is wrong?

i suspect that (1) you are concatenating the data files and that this
message refers to the concatenated file and (2) your version of aips
or your operating system has not been compiled to allow files larger
than 2 Gbytes.  This ERRNO refers to that error, not to being out of
disk.  So, what I am saying is that the same error will occur when you
concatenate the disk files.

What version of aips are you running and on what computer and
operating system version?  We have compiled for > 2 Gbytes
for a long time by default.