[daip] Message and Tek servers (Mac)

Andy Biggs adb at roe.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 08:35:38 EDT 2005

Hi there. I have almost fixed the problem I was having with my message and
tek servers disappearing immediately after appearing on the screen. What
happens exactly is that they appear, iconify, before disappearing whilst
in the icon window. It seems that both of them give a message before
dying, but it isn't possible to read this before the screens disappear.

I have managed to get both of the servers to persist on the screen and
work normally. I did this by setting AIPS_MSG|TEK_EMULATOR to 'xgterm',
this being available as I have also installed iraf on my laptop. I have no
idea if this is a general Mac problem and I also have no idea why xgterm
works when xterm doesn't, but I suppose that this may be of interest to
other Mac users.

One final problem is that the windows don't obey any of the settings in my
.Xdefaults file (which I also symbolically link to a .Xresources file just
to be on the safe side). Thus my message server has no scrollbar and I
can't start the tek server in an iconified state. Xgterm is very similar
to xterm so I don't know why I'm getting this problem.

Cheers,

Andy