[daip] A fitdisk request.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 12 20:58:05 EDT 2005

Craig Walker writes:
 > When fitdisk fails, it leaves the inputs in a horrible state.  The
 > procedure changes many of the inputs in order to run FITTP and those
 > changes get left in place when FITTP fails.  Some of the changes don't
 > jump out at you - like replacing blanks with underscores.  The result is
 > that one has to essentially start from scratch setting up the next
 > attempt - not what one is normally inclined to do when some minor thing
 > was wrong and is now fixed.  Between that, and the possibility of having
 > created an output file that one needs to remember to delete, you can get
 > into quite a frustrating experience.  As you might guess, I'm just
 > coming off of such a session.  Can something be done to put the inputs
 > back to their initial state after a FITTP failure?
 >
 > Consider this low priority.

That's good because I just found this while digging in my Inbox.

And we can't do a thing about it.  The problem is deep in the POPS
processor that quits as soon as an error is found.  We cannot make it
do anything after that.  If we change it to continue, depending on the
user to test e.g. ERROR, then almost all users will make mistakes
since few know to do this for the places we allow it - EGETNAME,
EGETHEAD, etc.