[daip] USE OF AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 6 15:53:47 EDT 2005

bhaskar at rri.res.in writes:

 > I am a rookie astronomer starting my research in radio astrophysics in
 > Raman Research Institute, India.
 > Now I am using AIPS do analyse THE GRB(Gamma Ray Burst) DATA taken from
 > the GMRT of INDIA.
 >
 > I have already analysed & got the image of two GRB DATAS.
 > Now I would like to ask what are the fields where these results can be used.
 > How to DERIVE THE PROPERTIES of the GRB from these results?
 >
 > I believe I will get assistance from you.

Actually you will get very little assistance.  You should be talking
to your teachers, other professors, and fellow GMRT researchers, or
perhaps people active in GRB research.  We are a software group (a
very very small one) and can tell you about what software is in aips
and how to use it.  There is a chapter on analysis in the AIPS
CookBook
             http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/cook.html
which will tell you about measuring flux, position, etc.  The science
is your business, not ours.