[daip] AIPS problem: conversion of big-endian to little-endian

RALLIS at mps.ohio-state.edu RALLIS at mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jan 25 09:59:18 EST 2005

Dear AIPS group,
     Last fall my sparcstation running Solaris died and was replaced with a
Dell running Linux. Our sytems person, Bryan Dunlap (see message from
him below), did an AIPS installation on the new computer, but it can't see
my old data catalogue. Eric Greisen said that the problem was
big-endian vs little-endian and we needed to install AIPS on a
sparcstation or a Mac to convert my data files. Doesn't NRAO have a script
that could convert my data files independent of our doing an AIPS
installation on a sparcstation or a Mac? Hasn't this problem occurred at
NRAO or elsewhere when computers were replaced?

     Bryan Dunlap looked into doing an AIPS installation on a Mac as we
no longer have any sparcstations in the department and is stumped.
If it is necessary to do the installation on a Mac in order to convert
my data files, where can we get a binary distribution for it?
                                            - Michele Kaufman