[daip] Re: need help with new AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:23:00 EST 2005

Bryan Dunlap writes:
 > I am working with Dr. Michelle Kaufman, here at OSU Physics.  She asked
 > me to contact you with this problem.
 >
 > I have set up a new Linux host for her, with AIPS-31DEC05.  The
 > installation ran smoothly, but now I cannot get it to see her image
 > directories.  The installation is in /n/35/aips-31DEC05, and I have
 > edited /n/35/aips-31DEC05/DA00/NETSP to contain the lines
 >
 > /n/35/aips-31DEC05/DATA/STELLAR_1 999.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
 > /n/35/36/aips                     999.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
 > /n/35/37/aips/DATA/STELLAR_1      999.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
 >
 > But AIPS does not see these data directories.
 >
 > Can you give me any pointers as to what I have done wrong, or where I
 > should be looking for information?  Thanks in advance.

The main file that defines data areas is DADEVS.LIST in the same area
as NETSP.  The NETSP is just for timdest limits and any limits on
allowed users.

One problem with the 2nd data area listed above is that it does not
include the host name - which I assume is STELLAR.  The startup script
looks for only those data areas that have the host name in them so
that the very many hosts at places like NRAO do not attempt to mount
the very very many data areas we have to list.