[daip] Help with AIPS -- Latest

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:44:33 EST 2005

Jonathan Mines writes:
 > Eric,
 >
 > I was, indeed, in $LOAD when I saw the empty file ./XAS.  While I was
 > present at the time, I could not remember whether it was a binary
 > installation or whether things were compiled locally.  I could not reach

    I suspect compiled locally but cd $SYSLOCAL and look for the file
RSYNC.ME - if it is present then you did the binary install.

 > the person who handled it (He is on vacation.), so I went ahead assuming
 > that things were compiled locally.  Unfortunately, either I was mistaken
 > or there is another problem because I generated a long series of error
 > messages.  (See Below.)  What do I do now?  Thank you for your assistance.
 >
 > [mines at phbehar2 XAS]$ make clean
 > rm -f *.o xas XAS
 > [mines at phbehar2 XAS]$ make
 > /usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53:23: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:81:33: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory
 > In file included from xas.c:31:

The RPM for XWindows developers has not been installed.  When it is
there will be a file named X11 in /usr/include that is a link file
usually, e.g.

X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/

primate<349>$ cd ../X11R6/include/X11/
/usr/X11R6/include/X11

primate<351>$ ls

ap_keysym.h   fonts/        RectObjP.h    Xatom.h       Xfuncs.h   xpm.h
bitmaps/      HPkeysym.h    Shell.h       Xauth.h       X.h        Xpoll.h
Composite.h   ICE/          ShellP.h      Xaw/          XKBlib.h   Xproto.h
CompositeP.h  Intrinsic.h   SM/           Xaw3d/        Xlib.h     Xprotostr.h
ConstrainP.h  IntrinsicP.h  StringDefs.h  Xcms.h        Xlibint.h  Xresource.h
Constraint.h  keysymdef.h   Sunkeysym.h   Xcursor/      Xlocale.h  Xthreads.h
Core.h        keysym.h      Vendor.h      Xdefs.h       Xmd.h      Xutil.h
CoreP.h       Object.h      VendorP.h     Xdmcp.h       Xmu/       XWDFile.h
cursorfont.h  ObjectP.h     X10.h         XF86keysym.h  Xosdefs.h
DECkeysym.h   PM/           Xalloca.h     Xft/          Xos.h
extensions/   RectObj.h     Xarch.h       Xfuncproto.h  Xos_r.h

The X11 compilation needs the include files from here.