[daip] possible 31DEC04 bug related to reading TAPE

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:59:51 EST 2005

Neeraj Gupta writes:

 >      I tried using AIPS' frozen version 31DEC04 on the Linux PC with OS
 > Fedora-Core 3.  I noticed following two things:
 >
 > 1) In the script install.pl that comes with 31DEC04, $myvers = "31DEC05".
 > Please change this to "31DEC04"

    Yes I forgot and putbck the TST version in NEW - fixed.now.

 > 2) I also tried a small data analysis exercise.  Everything worked fine
 > except for reading a tape with the FITLD.  The data was written (and then
 > read also as a check) onto the tape using 31DEC03.  The 31DEC04 FITLD,
 > REWIND however gives the error:
 >
 > >mount
 > AIPS 1: Mounted on ANSI SCSI 2 tape on host genpro
 > >rewind
 > AIPS 1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE     99
 > AIPS 1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR  99 TO genpro
 > AIPS 1: TAPIO: ERROR  99 OPENING FILE
 > AIPS 1: INVALID TAPE

 >       I checked same tape, tape-drive with 31DEC03 aips.  It works fine.
 > Also, I tried 31DEC03 and 31DEC04 compiled on RedHat9.  Again 31DEC03
 > works fine and 31DEC04 gives the above problem.

You could try reading the AIPSLetter.  It states there that the
31DEC04 and previous versions are incompatible with respect to remote
tape.  See

       http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/

where the 30 June 2004 and 31 December 2004 AIPSLetters may be found.