[daip] no tv server in AIPS

alessandro alexpraxus at yahoo.it
Sun Feb 27 19:18:22 EST 2005

Hi, my name is Alessandro Parlavecchio and I have some trouble installing
AIPS.

I've installed AIPS with the gcc 2.95.3 compiler you assigned to prevent
some disagree in working, and I follow your instructions on the web to
install AIPS after downloading fro the network.

I use Linux Mandrake 9.2 release with kernel 2.4.22 on my laptop ASUS. After
starting up AIPS no TV appears, so after control in my files, I decided to
reinstall AIPS to review about something of important I've neglected, in
fact here it was. During installation of TV servers there's this message:

>XASERVERS: start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY localhost: 0

>/home/alessandro/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS, line 206: ./XAS
permissions denied

>XASERVERS: start graphic server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY localhost: 0

>/home/alessandro/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS, line 230: xterm:
command not found

>STARTPMON [ LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

>XASERVERS: start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY localhost: 0

>home/alessandro/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS, line 264: xterm:
command not found

For completeness I also write the message I see starting AIPS after this
installation ( it's a consequence )

>AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS.

>rm -f  *.0 xas XAS

>/usr/local/bin/gcc -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c

>In file included from xas.c:31:

>xas.h:52: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

>xas.h:53: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory

>xas.h.54: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory

>In file included from xas.c:31

>make: *** [xas.o] Error 1

>AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program

>AipsWiz: Error: this means no AIPS TV will be available

>AipsWiz: Press <ENTER> to acknowledge:

I forget to write that I've installed the compiler gcc 2.95.3 in /usr/local.

I think Linux'll must be re-installed, but better if not. What can I do?

Thanks in advance