[daip] aips on debian

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 28 11:59:03 EST 2005

Fernando Camilo writes:

 > Could you please let me know whether there are any known issues for AIPS
 > running under Linux Debian 3.1 (sarge)?  We are building a new Linux-based
 > computing network here at the Columbia Astrophysics Lab and want to make
 > sure that the key packages will work under our proposed operating system.

So far as I know there are no issues.  But I do not know if it has
been tested properly either.  We offer AIPS in both source-code and
binary versions.  The former mostly has issues with compilers, where
some versions of GNU for example simply make many mistakes in
optimization.  The latter is build with the Intel compiler on a RedHat
9 host.  It is possible that some issues might arise from OS
incompatibilities.  In fact, we are seeing serious degradation of AIPS
TV performance on those machines that have been "upgraded" to RedHat
Enterprise.  Whether Enterprise just does not like standard sockets
especially Inet loopback sockets or whether load modules build with an
Enterprise system would work better, we do not yet know.