[daip] Re: AIPS & MAC

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 21 10:43:00 EST 2005

Hans-Rainer Kloeckner writes:

 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > Sorry for bothering!
 >
 > I'm trying to install AIPS on my MAC with MAC OS X 10.4.3
 > and I'm not able to compile any of the requiered compiler for AIPS (in
 > particular gcc 3.3.2 produces errors that can not be solved).
 > As I understood the only compiler for AIPS is 3.2.3 as quoted at
 > the  AIPS home page, but at the MAC page there is another gcc compiler
 > (version 3.3.2 as download)? So which should be used ? Or should I just
 > use the gcc-3.3 which is distributed via the Xcode stuff? I have installed
 > successfully AIPS serveral times on linux machines but for MAC I'm already
 > stuck with the gcc compiler. I guess, that is quite difficut to help me
 > with thet problem, however is there another solution for MAC ?

I would suggest using the binary installation for Macs.  The IBM
compiler produces code that runs 50% faster than that produced by the
GNU compilers.  The binary installation is done simply

     perl install.pl -n

where the -n says binary (network).  If you are going to develop code
inside AIPS so that you must have a local compiler, then it is
important to get a GNU compiler to work.  We are using GNU 3.4.4 onm y
Linux machine and there seems to be no trouble with it.
Unfortunately, we are not really testing GNU compilers anymore since
we use Intel for Linux and IBM for Macs.