[daip] Re: Issue with building readline configuration

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Dec 17 16:55:31 EST 2005

I have forwarded your query to our Mac OS/X expert.  If you mail to
daip at nrao.edu then the full group gets the message immediately even if
I answer most things.

The readline we now include with 31DEC05 AIPS is a modern one that
should build on any machine.  But I notice two things to mention:

1. Why are you not doing a binary install.  The IBM compiler produces
code that runs quite abit faster than that produced by the gnu
compilers.

2. The compiler mention is GNU 3.3.x - on Linux machines we have
encountered quite a lot of trouble with that version of g77 and so
recommend eith 3.4.4 or 3.2.4 these days.