[daip] Moving user files

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 12:24:34 EDT 2005

Eric Greisen wrote:
> Roderick Johnstone writes:
>
>  > How do we select uuu? Is it just the userid in Hex?
>
>     Extended hex (base 36).  We use the function EHEX to take a
> decimal number and tell us the Ehex value and REHEX to go the other
> way.  These are both aips verbs and scripts in $SYSLOCAL if you are
> not inside aips

ok, thanks.

>  >
>  > 2) Another user also wishes to switch to private catalogues because we
>  > think that using the public catalogues is what is causing the problems
>  > we see with vlarun. In that case there are around 2300 catalogue entries
>  > (ie around 23000 files) over 20 different user ids. We obviously need
>  > some automatic way to do this conversion.
>  >
>  > Can you advise please.
>
> I think I had better write a program - to read the CAD000000.; file
> and write the CAD000000.uuu; ones while renaming the files.  This
> should be amusing to do and I will start now.

And thanks again! I'm surprised noone has tripped over this before and
made a solution.

Was I right in thinking that data areas with old public catalogues will
continue to use them while new data areas will get the default per user
catalogue of the binary installation?

Roderick

Roderick Johnstone                          Email: rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
X-ray Astronomy Group                       Phone: +44 1223 766656
Institute of Astronomy                      Mobile:   07989 809095
Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0HA, UK       Fax:   +44 1223 337523