[daip] Moving user files

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:00:17 EDT 2005

Roderick Johnstone writes:

 > This is very interesting because the two types of catalogue may explain
 > a completely different problem that we are having with vlarun that we
 > are working with Lorant Sjouwerman on.
 >
 > Anyway, back to the present problem...
 >
 > Greg Taylor helped us set up aips 31DEC04 last year, from source build.
 > We recent installed 31DEC05 from your binary distribution. So maybe the
 > original dataspace had the single catalogue because thats what Greg told
 > us to do and the new data spaces get per user catalogues, because thats
 > the default for the binary installation. Does this sound plausible???

    Greg made a mistake is my guess and ignored the usual answer.  But
if install.pl had completed normally, then it would have done the
right thing.  Yes, the binary installation assumes per user files.

BTW - are all you Linux machine Pentium IV chips?  We are planning to
switch to the Intel compiler and that will make binary LInux modules
that may only run on PIVs.

 > In terms of answering the questions in FILAIP:
 > Does the number of disks question have to reflect the current number of
 > disks is it some limit on the total number of disks there could be?
 >
 > Is there any harm in saying -9999 to the question of entries/disk? Our
 > users tend to use a separate aips user id for each data set, so 100
 > could be limiting, possibly.

    The -100 is not a limit, just an initial value.  It will grow as
the user needs it to.

 > In order to keep other parameters of FILAIP the same, I'd like to find
 > out their current values. How can I do this please.
 >
 > Once we have run FILAIP do we need to do anything to convert the old
 > catalogue to the new format?

If you plan to switch to user number based then you do not run
FILAIP.

But you rename every file in the user's new area appending the .uuu
instead.