[daip] Moving user files

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 12:19:40 EDT 2005

Eric Greisen wrote:
> Roderick Johnstone writes:
>
>  > An aipsuser has moved to a new system and wants the old files to be
>  > local to the new systen. So I need to copy the aips files to the new
>  > data area, which I have set up following the instructions in the FAQ page.
>  >
>  > When I did this (using linux cp) the files were not visible with pcat
>  > when specifiying the userid that they were previously created under.
>  >
>  > Can you advise how to make the copied files visible on the new system
>  > please.
>  >

> Are you moving from Solaris to Linux or Linux to Mac?  Solaris and
> Macs have one byte order and Linux (and VMS) have the opposite.  AIPS
> binary files cannot be moved from one byte order to the other with a
> simple copy.  You must use FITS files.  We provide a package of
> procedures to make this less painful.  In aips, say RUN WRTPROCS.  On
> the old machine use proc WRTDISK, then cp the FITS files, the on the
> new machine RUN WRTPROCS and use READISK.
>
> Eric Greisen

Eric

No, its much simpler than this. The old system is linux x86 and the new
system is linux x86. Its just that the files aren't seen on the new
system despite having been copied into the aips data area on the new system

Thanks.

Roderick
Roderick Johnstone                          Email: rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
X-ray Astronomy Group                       Phone: +44 1223 766656
Institute of Astronomy                      Mobile:   07989 809095
Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0HA, UK       Fax:   +44 1223 337523