[Fwd: Re: [daip] AIPS Querie]

John Hibbard jhibbard at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 5 17:00:01 EDT 2005

Hi Amy,

I couldn't get anywhere with that dataset, so had Julia
try you. I am wondering if it has something to do with
the data being from 1989? However, the C-array data is
from the same era, and doesn't have these problems.

The main difference between the C- and D-array datasets
is the the D-array is a results of 4 successive DBCONs
(ie., combination of 5 different datasets, hench 5 AN
files), whereas the C-array is a single observation. Both
datasets were calibrated, split, and uvsub'ed before
being written out. So there shouldn't be an SU table.
The data should NOT be multisource, and its beyond me
why aips thinks it is!

It occurs to me that the data were originally written
to 9-track tape, and then transferred to Dat by Ernie.
If its not a problem with format changes between 1989
and now, it might have gotten corrupted in the tape-2-
disk-2-Dat process. I hope not, since it would be quite
a lot of work reprocess the original datasets, but
if you can't get anywhere with it, I guess we'll have to
assume that is the problem.

Thanks for your help on this,
-john