[daip] AIPS instalation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 3 12:30:16 EDT 2005

thyagarajan at astro.rug.nl writes:

aipsmail and daip are the same mail address, please just use daip

 > 1. Fedora Core 4 (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4) i386 architecture which i very
 > recently installed and i guess it has a gcc 4.0 as the default during
 > installation.

    Don't guess - 4.0 would be a horrible choice for the system.  It
is experimental and does not work with aips at all.

Do a
       /usr/bin/gcc --version
       /usr/bin/g77 --version

 > AipsWiz: Compiling REVENV...
 > AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...
 > AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
 > AipsWiz: /usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH         (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
$CDTST
cd $SYSLOCAL
ls                       to see what is there
/usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o

This should show you the actual error messages which apparnetly get
lost by install.pl

 > rm -f *.o xas XAS
 > /usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53:23: error: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54:24: error: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:81:33: error: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory In

You have not installed the X11 developers' RPM and so are missing
necessary include files for compilation.  On my machine there is a
link file (directory link) in /usr/include:

X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/

and ../X11R6/include/X11/ contains the needed include files.

 > MAKE.MNJ - Compiling utility programs...
 > UPDOBSLT.c: In function ‘main’:
 > UPDOBSLT.c:69: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
 > function ‘exit’

   This is just a warning - should not matter.

 > MAKE.MNJ -  --------------------------
 > MAKE.MNJ - If you wish to change any of these settings, refer to the
 > MAKE.MNJ - comments at the start of
 > /home/software/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC05/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE/UPDCONFIG
 > MAKE.MNJ - and edit
 > /home/software/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC05/LINUX/SYSTEM/NITHYA_AIPS/UPDCONFIG
 > yourself.
 > MAKE.MNJ - Press <RETURN> to acknowledge...:
 > MAKE.MNJ - cvs needs to be primed by a login operation; this
 > MAKE.MNJ - is also a good time to test and make sure you can
 > MAKE.MNJ - connect to our server. We will now try to login to
 > MAKE.MNJ - the server (mnj.aoc.nrao.edu); when prompted for
 > MAKE.MNJ - a password, just hit the enter or return key.
 > Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs at mnj.aoc.nrao.edu:2401/home/aipssrc/cvs

    What happened at this point?  You should get some prompt and hit
the return/enter key.  If this fails then perhaps your port for cvs is
closed.

 > INSTEP2   : Aborts!    Wed Aug  3 09:10:55 EDT 2005
 > AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP2 failed, no point in proceeding.
 > AipsWiz: Error: Look in
 > /home/software/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC05/LINUX/INSTALL to see
 > AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
 > AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do
 >
 > grep -v ^- *.LIS
 >

 > AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile.

     Did you do this?  When you find what did not compile - if it is
only a few then you could send the (small) sections for one or more to
me and I could help.  Do not send INSTEP2.LOG as a whole unless it is
short.

 >   I then read the gcc compiler issues on NRAO's site and infact downloaded
 > and installed gcc2.95 compiler as instructed on your site. During the
 > bootstrap command: make bootstrap there were some errors. i then wrote
 > "make  install" and it seemed to end.
 >   with this setup, i tried installing AIPS again and made changes in
 > Screen 10 by changing the paths for fortran compiler(FORT), linker(LINK)
 > and CCOM. i didn't know if i had to change READLINE to the new path. the
 > new path did not have libreadline.a and so i copied it from the old path
 > and pasted it in the new directory and then ran the install again. but
 > this time, the errors were :

     2.95.3 is pretty old for your system - 3.2.3 is more modern and
believed to work.

 > AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
 > AipsWiz: /usr/local/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
 > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lg2c
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build PP.EXE in
 > /home/software/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC05/LINUX/SYSTEM/NITHYA_AIPS

        Try the suggestion from above for this compiler too.

 > /usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:81: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory

        This is as above.

 > INSTEP2   : Failure in $AIPSUB/...
 > AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP2 failed, no point in proceeding.
 > /home/software/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC05/LINUX/INSTALL to see

 > grep -v ^- *.LIS
 >
 > AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile.

You should check INSTEP2.LOG to see if it actually used the correct
/usr/local/bin compilers or stayed with the /usr/bin ones.  If it
stayed then edit the $SYSLOCAL files CCOPTS.SH, LDOPTS.SH and
FDEFAULT.SH and try again.