[daip] Re: AIPS question

Chris Clark cclark at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:52:10 EDT 2005

On Mon, April 18, 2005 13:17, Eric Greisen said:
> Chris Clark writes:
>  >
>  > We have just taken delivery of a new dual Xeon machine and it appears
> that
>  > the processors may actually be the 64 bit versions. Is there a build
> for
>  > this processor?
>  >
>  > Just interested in what kind of aipsmark it would achieve.
>  >

> There is no specific build for such machines.  I would assume that the
> current Linux version at your site would work on the machine.  Whoever
> manages your site for AIPS can try it out.
>
> Eric Greisen

Eric,
     There is some question now as to whether this machine really is a 64
processor or just has 64 bit extensions. I must admit I am not as au
fait with the technology as I ought to be.

That said I have a piece of code with some hand optimised assembler that
no longer compiles on this machine! The precompiled binary does run, it
just won't compile.

I expect that for now we will just load up the 32bit redhat and go with
that. It will get configured as an aips host at some point and if we
encounter problems (Don't expect to) we will let you know.

The hostname is golina if you want to log on and have a poke around.

Chris

    Chris Clark - Division Head, NRAO Green Bank
                 Computing Division