[daip] Compilers for Linux/Max

Dan Homan homand at denison.edu
Fri Apr 15 10:19:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am getting ready to buy another AIPS machine.  I had planned to get
another linux box, as linux is what I am used to; however, it seems that
all (or most) of the latest gcc compilers used for linux are not
reliable for AIPS.  I know the preferred compiler is 2.95.3, but this
doesn't work well on the new linux systems (redhat 9 and later).  Out of
necessity, I've been using 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 which come with redhat 9 and
enterprise linux respectively.

Note that I can't just use the binary install, as I need to install some
of my own 'home-brew' tasks.

What is the status of testing the newer gcc compilers (3.4.3, 4.0) for
AIPS?  Are they acceptable?  Has the intel compiler been tested?  I
would really like to stick with linux to keep my system administration
headaches to a minimum, but I could go the mac route if that is really
better.

Maybe the best question for me to ask is... what is NRAO buying and
installing these days?

Thanks for your help.

  - Dan

--
Daniel C. Homan
Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Phone: 740-587-6742,  Email: homand at denison.edu