[daip] Re: aips++ and AMD

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:16:54 EDT 2004

Chris Phillips writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > I have just received a new AMD64 PC (for eVLBI testing...) and would like
 > to try and install aips to see how it goes.
 >
 > Do you have any words of wisdom for installing aips on 64bit linux?

I assume you mean aips not aips++

The answer is no - I do not have wisdom.  I worry that it may not work
however.  Our method of doing dynamic memory has been sabotaged by
some implementations of memory management in 64-bit machines.  Our
dynamic memory requires that we can use a 32-bit integer subscript wrt
to an address in the program to get to the dynamic memory region.  I
worked with a machine in Italy that gave dynamic memory from the top
of the 64-bit address space while putting the programs at the bottom.

The compiles work fine but be sure to run Y2K and DDT.