[daip] FITS header

Ian Pattison ip at ast.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 11:47:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have data which I need to load into AIPS. Initially AIPS was complaining
about "BAD NUMBER ON EQUINOX". The EQUINOX was declared as the string
'J2000.00' in the FITS header, so I changed it to the real value 2000.00 ,
which solved that problem.

However, I now find that once loaded into AIPS, the coordinates are wrong,
i.e. sources are offset by ~1 second in R.A. and ~4 arc-sec in DEC. The
original data loads fine in ds9, and the coordinates there are correct.
GAIA on the other hand has problems with the coordinates (though much more
severely than AIPS). I'm guessing something within the fits header or the
.wcs is causing AIPS the problem, though I've not been able to find out
what.

The small offset suggests maybe AIPS is assuming a different epoch than
the true one??

I've attached the fits header, and if someone could take a look and point
out any likely culprits, that would be great.

Thanks,

Ian Pattison

 Ian Pattison

 Astrophysics Group