[daip] Re: appendix C in the cookbook

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Oct 26 19:16:18 EDT 2004

Miller,

After a long discussion yesterday with Mark and Lorant, we
decided that BPASSPRM(5)=1, (10)=1 _should_ work.  That the
gain normalization is done when (10)=1.  I realize that it
might be better to recommend (10)=2 for other reasons, but
in principle (10)=1 should work.  Lorant  and I did some
testing  and confirmed that it in fact does not work if
BPASSPARM(1)=0, but does work if BPASSPARM(1)=1.  So it
looks like if you do a complex bandpass then for some reason
normalizing the amplitude does not work, but if you do
a amplitude only bandpass then normalizing the amplitude
does work.  I am now buried in the guts of BPASS trying to
figure out why BPASSPARM(1)=0, (5)=1, (10)=1 does not work.
BPASS _tries_ to normalize, but it's obviously doing some-
thing wrong.  It is possible that there is something that
Lorant, Mark and I do not understand and there is a reason
you don't want to normalize the amplitude if you do a
vector bandpass.  But then BPASS should die or at least
give a warning and have a warning in the HELP file that
what you are trying to do does not work.  I'd like to discuss
this with Eric because he has done a lot of work on BPASS
in the last couple years and maybe something has changed,
but he is away for the rest of the week.

Chapter 9 in the cookbook says to use BPASSPRM 1,0.  This
is also wrong if you want to normalize the gains, because
BPASSPRM(1)=1 sets BPASSPRM(5)=1 (in effect).  This is
another reason I wonder if things have changed.

Amy