[daip] Minor aips suggestions

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 19 13:27:25 EDT 2004

"WB" == Walter Brisken <wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu> writes:

WB> I'm running aips on a rather new linux distribution.

Which one?

WB> I get the following warning that will likely become more common as
WB> more people are running with newer "head" and "tail" unix tools:

WB> head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed
WB> in the future

I've never seen this particular warning, and I'm running RedHat
Enterprise Linux on my laptop:

  : orangutan_pmurphy; cat .profile | head -1
  #!/opt/local/bin/bash
  : orangutan_pmurphy; type -a head
  head is /usr/bin/head
  : orangutan_pmurphy; uname -a
  Linux orangutan 2.4.21-20.EL #1 Wed Aug 18 20:58:25 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
  : orangutan_pmurphy; cat /etc/redhat-release
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)
  : orangutan_pmurphy; env | grep POSIX
  : orangutan_pmurphy;

AHh... I only see that warning/error if env. variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is
set to YES or something like that.  The only issue then is if the newer
syntax will work on, e.g. OS/X, Solaris (yup), or other Unix variants
that AIPS still supports.

				- Pat