[daip] forwarded message from Hsieh Pei-Ying

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 14 10:48:43 EDT 2004

Eric Greisen writes:

 > Dear AIPS experts,
 >
 > I'm using AIPS task "VTESS" to do mosaicing with two fields,  but I
 > encounter some problems, the messages is as follows.
 > I don't know what is "MAP IS BLANKED AND I AM NOT ALLOWED TO HANDLE IT",
 > what should I do to solve this problem?
 > I'm the only one to do mosaicing with AIPS in my institute, (the other
 > people betrayed AIPS and turn to Miriad when do mosaicing), so I have no
 > people to ask.  Too bad.
 >
 > mizar.> VTESS1: Task VTESS  (release of 31DEC03) begins
 > mizar.> VTESS1: Creating  11 scratch files
 > mizar.> VTESS1: BMAJ BEFORE FITBM         0.0
 > mizar.> VTESS1: Fit Gaussian FWHM =   59.104 x   55.168      arcsec, PA=
 > - -59.4
 > mizar.> VTESS1: PLNGET: MAP IS BLANKED AND I AM NOT ALLOWED TO HANDLE IT
 > mizar.> VTESS1: FILES: CANNOT COPY DIRTY BEAM, ERROR   3
 > mizar.> VTESS1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > mizar.> VTESS1: mizar        31DEC03 TST: Cpu=       4.1  Real=       7

What this means is that there are blanked pixels in one or more of the
images that you are giving to VTESS.  Since it lives off of Fourier
transforms, it will not handled blanked pixels (pixels marked as
having no value).  VTESS expects to receive, e.g. from IMAGR, N dirty
images and N dirty beams for N pointings.  These are normally made by
an imaging program (IMAGR, MX, UVMAP) and should never have blanked
pixels in them.