[daip] Re: FYI: Y2K(L) on xeros

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 14 10:42:02 EDT 2004

Michael Rupen writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >   I got Y2K running as you suggested, and thought you might be interested in
 > the results.
 >
 > Machine: two, each Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
 >          1 GB physical memory
 >
 > Compiler: gnu (gcc/g77) 3.4.2
 >   default optimizations etc. from install script
 >
 > Accuracy:
 >   max. bits 11.8-19.7 mode M, 7.1-17.5 mode T
 >
 > Speed: 6.4mins real-time, 5.203 mins cpu -> A(00)= 104
 >
 > This seems pretty good, since I didn't use any special compiler
 > options.

Actually, the -O2 in the FDEFAULT.SH seems to give about as good as
anything else we have tried.  I would be a bit disappointed - the IBM
compiler on Cornwell's dual Mac G5 2.0 GHz box gave 300 seconds or
AM(00) = 133.

The performance is the time difference in the message file from

run y2k

to the first

PRINTING MESSAG...

and we always turn off the message server and as much else as possible
on the machine.

Eric