[daip] Re: .dadevs

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:11:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:17:13 -0700, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:

> Michael Lindqvist writes:

>> I have not changed my .dadevs-file. However, it seems that it has to
>> be (at least) two spaces between the + and the directory.  When I
>> changed it to two spaces it worked again.

> The intended grammar is to require the two spaces.  I am not enough of
> an expert at shell scripts to be sure if DADEVS.SH requires the two
> spaces, certainly DADEVS.PL does.

They both do; this is something Mark Calabretta had in the original ATNF
AIPS network environment, and we preserved it when backporting those
features to the mainstream AIPS in 1992.  DADEVS.PL was merely written
later as an adjunct to DADEVS.SH to try and speed up the shell scripts
(perl was much faster on a Sparc IPX than bourne shell).

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.           NRAO, Charlottesville, Virginia
 Division Head, CV Computing        NRAO Computer Security Manager