[daip] interative XGAUS fitting

Caroline Simpson simpsonc at galaxy.fiu.edu
Tue Nov 9 19:04:13 EST 2004

Hello,

We've found that when using XGAUS to fit a spectrum with more than one
component, if we use 'e' to do interactive fitting by clicking in the
TEK window on the center/max etc of each component, we get insane
results. If we don't use 'e' and let it fit on its own, the results are
more reasonable. We would like to be able to do it interactively if
possible.

We are both using DEC2004; one on a SUN Ultra, one on a MAC. One
version has not been updated (no MNJ) since March, the other since July.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Caroline Simpson
=================

Here is an typical input file:
AIPS 1: XGAUS     Fits 1-dimensional Gaussians to images
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'C_KNOT_AVG  '          Input image name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'TRANS '                Input image name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input image name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        5                    Input image disk unit #
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'TEST2       '          Output image name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   '      '                Output image name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output image name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       5                    Output image disk unit #.
AIPS 1: BLC          62        *rest 0     Bottom left corner of input
AIPS 1: TRC          99        *rest 0     Top right corner of input
AIPS 1: YINC          1                    Do every YINCth row
AIPS 1: ZINC          1                    Do every ZINCth plane
AIPS 1: FLUX        0.002                  Flux cutoff (see HELP)
AIPS 1: BCHAN         5                    # channels at left for
AIPS 1:                                    baseline (-1 => no baseline)
AIPS 1: ECHAN         5                    # channels at right for
AIPS 1:                                    baseline (0 => none)
AIPS 1: DOOUTPUT     -1                    Write residual image
AIPS 1: DOSLICE       2                    Plot data on TEK
AIPS 1: DOMODEL       1                    Plot model on TEK
AIPS 1: DORESID       1                    Plot residuals on TEK
AIPS 1: PIXRANGE   -2.00E-03     0.04      Min,Max of image intensity
AIPS 1:                                      Max <= Min => entire range
AIPS 1: LTYPE         3                    Type of labeling: 1 border,
AIPS 1:                                    2 no ticks, 3 standard, 4 rel
AIPS 1:                                    to center, 5 rel to subim cen
AIPS 1:                                    6 map pixels
AIPS 1: PIXVAL        0.1                  Display if peak < PIXVAL
AIPS 1: NITER         0                    Max # fit iterations
AIPS 1:                                     0 -> 100.
AIPS 1: NGAUSS        2                    Number of Gaussians
AIPS 1:                                    Guess of model parameters
AIPS 1: GMAX         0.02        0.024       Peak of component (JY)
AIPS 1:             0.008         0
AIPS 1: GPOS         14          17          X position (pixels wrt the
AIPS 1:              21        *rest 0       reference pixel)
AIPS 1: GWIDTH        2           2          FWHM of comp. (pixels)
AIPS 1:               2        *rest 0     Solve for model parameters?
AIPS 1: DOMAX         1           1          Solve for GMAX?
AIPS 1:               1           1
AIPS 1: DOPOS         1           1          Solve for GPOS?
AIPS 1:               1           1           1           1
AIPS 1:               1           1
AIPS 1: DOWIDTH       1           1          Solve for GWIDTH?
AIPS 1:               1           1           1           1
AIPS 1:               1           1           1           1
AIPS 1:               1           1
AIPS 1: BADDISK    *all 0                  Disk to avoid for scratch