[daip] AIPS TV queries

David Titterington djt at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 07:46:19 EST 2004

> > 2) Always, even when 'kleenex' is used to finish, the TV-lock daemon will
> >    remain as an active process and will have to cleared explicity later
> >    using 'kill'.  What's the recommended procedure for closing down the
> >    TV device cleanly so that the ./TVSRV daemons don't accumulate on the
> >    server?
>
> This is curious.  XAS has the power to kill the lock daemon and does
> so on command, on ESC typed in the XAS window, or on aborts so long as
> they are not at the level kill -9 which inhibits the abort handler.
> So far as I know it works reliably for us but almost everyone here
> uses the Inet form and they also use the default visual :0.0 ratrher
> than the fourth visual.  I can't think that the latter should matter,
> but I am grasping at straws here.

> I have tried with local TVs and always get a message from TVSERV
> saying that it was told to quit by XAS and then it is gone both as a
> process and as a socket file in /tmp.
>
> Sigh...
>
> Eric Greisen

Thanks for looking at this, Eric.  It doesn't look as though you are
able to reproduce the behaviour we see with the Sun Rays.  I find the
same as you if I run from a workstation console, i.e. using either INET
sockets or 'tv=local', XAS dies and signals the TVSERV to close if ESC
is typed in the window:

 >TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
 XAS: Quitting NOW.

 > echo $DISPLAY
 :0.0

On the Sun Rays, however, which are typically started with 'tv=local:0'
and DISPLAY set to, e.g. ':3.0' or 'localhost:3.0', when you abort the
TV with ESC, XAS dies silently (no message) and the TVSERV remains, with
the lock file still present in /tmp.

I'm not sure we're going to get to the bottom of this, but we'll let you
know if we have any more evidence.

Thanks again,
David.

David Titterington,