[daip] Aips datafile issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 26 18:55:51 EST 2004

Brian Pohl writes:

 > One of my users is having some trouble with his data.  He's been selecting
 > user ID 2 and 3 to manage data catalogues.  Recently, the data he had
 > accumulated under user ID 2 is no longer being recognized by AIPS.  the
 > physical datafiles (<some string>.002) are still on the physical disk, but
 > when he logs into AIPS as user ID 2, his catalogue is empty.  According to
 > him, this problem "just happened one day".
 >
 > My intuition is that this is a common problem with a simple solution, but
 > i'll elaborate further because our setup is a little different.

     The catalog file is CADuuu000.uuu; in each data area where uuu is
002 in this case.  It may have been deleted and then when he restarts
an empty one created.  Move it out of the way

  Outside of AIPS

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source lOGIN.CSH   (or . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
RUN RECAT

and answer the questions - it goes through all CB files (headers) and
reconstructs the CA file.

Eric Greisen

 > We are running AFS with AIPS stored on an AFS volume.  because of our
 > volume management logic (or lack thereof), we are careful to seperate
 > software volumes from data volumes.  AIPS "out of the box" wants to store
 > data in the same directory tree, or at least in a fixed location specified
 > in the DADEVS.LIST file.  We wanted to have data stored in user space, so I
 > modified the source code slightly so that DADEVS.LIST would interpret the
 > ~ character as the path to the user's home directory.  Hence our
 > DADEVS.LIST file simply contains:
 >
 > +  ~/AIPS/DATA
 >

 > And we instruct users to create a subdirectory of their home directory
 > AIPS/DATA etc...  This worked fine until the aforementioned problem occured
 > last week.

   Should work - it is just assigning logicals.  You can do this with
link files in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA for example as well.  The
DADEVS.LIST/NETSP point at the link files.

Eric Greisen